Saturday, March 21, 2020

Boredom and how I'm staving it off

Being honest here, the past few days have been getting increasingly boring. The weather has been cold and wet where I am, so it's not as if I could go outdoors for a walk or bike ride. Especially with all the social and physical distancing going on, everyone is isolating themselves either on government orders or out of fear of potential contagion. The only other person I share this house with is my grandma, and she's not a very active person.

In short, I'm beginning to feel more and more bored. I don't have much to do outside of sit around, sleep in, drink tea, and rinse-repeat. In light of this, however, I am adding more things to my routine that I can do.

1. Working out
At my school there was a gym with weights, and I was doing a 5x5 weight lifting routine Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Since my campus shut down, all of that is caput. Not being one to let myself atrophy, however, I have decided to keep working out with a new regimen. Before, I was doing 5 sets of 5 reps of squats, bench press/overhead press, and barbell row/deadlift. Now, I'm doing the same 5x5 pattern, but with squats, sit-ups, and push-ups. These are good body weight exercises to work with, don't require too much space, and can still help me lose my excess belly fat and build more muscle. The goal I've set is to be able to do 100 of each exercise. I'll probably stick to the Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, and jog or ride my bike or do some other exercises on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday/Sunday. I downloaded a PDF from r/bodyweightfitness that has a bunch of exercises you can do that don't require equipment at all. In general, I'm getting back into shape to kill time.

2. Reading more
Most of my time in school was occupied by reading for school. It hit me recently that I didn't read for pleasure as much as I'd like to. Now that I have all this free time on my hands, I can read much more for pleasure than I was formerly able. A few days ago I read excerpts from a medieval Japanese work (my thoughts on it are up for all to read), and currently in my sights I have Gao Xingjian's Soul Mountain. Really looking forward to completing it and many other books in my ever-expanding collection (including LotR, which I told myself I would finish before seeing the movies).

3. Writing more
As with reading for pleasure, my school assignments didn't give me much time for leisure writing. Now that I've got hours and days to myself, I can do a lot more writing on my own. Mostly it's been diary entries that have taken this spot. I like writing in my diary and putting bits of it on this blog from time to time. The diary is a great place for rough drafts and quick sketches of ideas that I can refine and post here. I've done it already with thoughts on Hojoki and plan to follow that post up with some thoughts on the concept of "impermanence" that was a major theme in that work. In addition, I'll be posting more poems, and will probably finish a story if I can focus and put my nose to the grindstone with regards to actually writing it.

These are just a few things I've come up with to pass time in isolation. Let me know what you think. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home