Thursday, March 26, 2020

Something Silly

As an apology for the lack of a blog post yesterday, I present to you a funny little commercial featuring the one and only Vincent Price...as a polar bear...advertising wine coolers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVMXkj9DvMk

Perhaps it's the nostalgia talking, but I'm a bit enamored of these old commercials, and old TV in general. My high school radio and broadcasting teacher shared my love of retro media. When he cleared out his old office during my senior year, everyone in the class got to sort through all his records and take home whatever we wanted. I took home a Hall and Oates album as well as a collection of Paul Lynde's zingers from Hollywood Squares, among others.

People say that mass media has declined in the past couple decades. I think it might be a bit of nostalgia coming through in our collective attitudes. We want new movies, shows, music, and comics, to be the same as the movies, shows, music, and comics that we remember from our younger years. Sed tempora muntantur nos et mutamur in illis. That is, times change and we are changed with them. We like to see things from our childhoods as good or pleasant because we don't know how to judge the future.

(I wasn't sure where to go with that paragraph. This is just something that popped into my head as I was typing.)

Enjoy the commercial! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home