Saturday, December 28, 2019

Post-Christmas Update

It's been a hot minute since I posted here. I've been concerned with final exams, traveling to my grandmother's house, and spending time with family during the Christmas season.

There's something wonderful about spending time with family during Christmas. I don't get to see my family together very often, so the past week I've had a good time talking and hanging out with them.

Christmas is a special time for me. I've always associated it with good feelings, charity, and real happiness. It's something that I almost can't describe, because everybody seems to know it who celebrates Christmas. For the first time this year, I got presents for my grandma and my dad. I got my grandma a green glass vase and my father some loose black tea and a teapot. They seemed to genuinely appreciate their gifts. My dad made tea and my grandma put her new vase by some of her plants, above her kitchen sink. It felt really nice to give them gifts; I finally had enough money to afford some small gifts. :-)

I plan on going back to school on Sunday the 5th of January, since classes resume on the 6th. My grades were all As and Bs: my lowest grade, in Beginning Classical Greek, was a B-, which means I managed to get my grades up to snuff. I haven't been emailed anything regarding my academic probation status, but I have not been informed of any dismissal, so I assume I'm going back to finish school. I have already ordered my textbooks and I really look forward to attending classes next semester.

In general, I have a lot of hope for how 2020 will turn out. It's the start of a new year as well as a new decade. I hope that I succeed in all the endeavors I set out to accomplish.

In case I don't make a post before the end of 2019, I will close out the year with these lines from Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem, Ulysses:


"Come, my friends,
'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home